Have you ever seen that movie ‘Bad Grandpa?’ The movie is about an elderly man who has no social compass. If there’s a right choice and a wrong choice, you can count on him to choose the latter. There are some people who live with dogs that almost make the ‘Bad Grandpa’ seem like a coach for good etiquette.
There are dogs that do everything wrong. What do they do wrong? The list can easily include the following and more:
- They bark incessantly
- They chew on shoes, slippers, socks, tables, chair legs, prescription glasses, books and any number of valuables
- They growl at other dogs
- They growl at people, whether they know them or not
- They fight with other dogs
- They bite people
- They jump on people who come into your house
- They dig holes in your yard
- They dig holes in your best sofa
- They chase cars
- They chase people on bicycles
- They beg for food
- They do their business in all the wrong places, from the living room to the kitchen
- They chase cats
- They jump up and eat food on counters and tables
- They nip at people and other dogs
- They pull on the leash when you take them for walks
- They drink from the toilets
- They lick people, often after drinking from toilets (YUK!!!)
- They have severe separation anxiety, which can manifest itself in many of the behaviors listed above
What are you to do with a dog exhibiting many, if not all, of these bad social tendencies?
Did you know that there is actually something called a Canine Good Citizen award? This isn’t just a great idea for teaching a dog good manners; it’s actually recognized and sanctioned by the American Kennel Club. If you have a Bad Puppy you can do something about it. Teach that dog some manners and you’ll find them a lot easier to live with.