Imagine a cat named Dejavu. But, Dejavu is more than just a pampered pet. She’s a Himalayan cat with a soft and flowing silver coat, a white mane and a black face that extends into her erect and pointed ears. But, even more than that, she’s a member of the family and a permanent resident, since Christmas, in the home of long-time Long Grove residents.
Her arrival in the home was a cherished event. I mean, how doesn’t love a kitten at its cutest? But now, though she still possesses considerable cute factor, her presence is posing a slight problem. In particular, summer is beckoning around the corner from spring. And, that means vacation.
Even before Dejavu joined the family, plans for the family vacation were in the works. After all, there were a lot of plans to consider: scheduling time off of work, reserving hotels, airfare and more. What doesn’t fit with those plans is the idea of taking a kitten along.
Some people would probably assume that a cat could take care of itself. Unlike dogs, to a degree, there’s some truth to that. It depends on how independent the cat is and how long the family will be away. But, with a kitten, the idea is unacceptable even on the face of it.
What’s the cat-care solution when you go on vacation?
For dogs, they have kennels and canine resorts. The solution, when someone needs care for their cats or kittens is a kitty hotel. And yet, you may be asking, ‘Why can’t I leave my cat in our Long Grove home alone? There are several good reasons. Here are a few of them:
- Whether you feed your cat wet or dry food, cats do best when they’re fed at the same time each day.
- If you leave them with a large bowl of food, intending that it will last an extended period of time, they’re liable to eat too much too early and be without food later.
- They need fresh water and, while dogs may drink out of the toilet (Yuk!!) few cats will do so.
- Though their independence may suggest otherwise, cats can feel stress and anxiety when left alone too long. They get lonely and crave the companionship of their family.
- Who will clean the litter box? When the litter box is thoroughly dirtied, cats are liable to take their business out of the box – on your floors, rugs and carpets.
- What will happen to your cat if they have an emergency? Though the risk is probably not great it’s not out of the realm of reason.
In the final analysis, your cat may be safe in your Long Grove home while you and the family are away but why take the chance when inexpensive kitty hotels are available.